Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Editorial Six- A small tribute to Waiting for Godot written in feverish haste

Sitting down to write this editorial reminds me for some weird reason of this line from "Waiting for Godot". I still remember the one line description given to describe this famous two act play by Samuel Beckett. "The play where nothing ever happens", it claimed. The two major characters in the play wait endlessly and in vain for someone called Godot to arrive. And that is where this little rant starts.

The place where nothing ever happens. I have been in this little desert town for the better part of three years now and I guess I still do not tire of describing this place by those words. Not that I am alone in that. I guess it is one of our pet grouses against this place.

And yet, even as I write this editorial I can think of a thousand things that have changed from my time as a first year to now. And I do not just talk about the white clock tower and the tin-shed rehdis when I say this. I am not talking of Southpark or the re-painted Bhawans either, much as they are also a change worth notice.

As I was compiling this issue, it struck me how absurd and meaningless it would have been to me if I had read these very articles 2 years ago. In this same period, we have seen the shaky rise of a fourth fest, albeit in  the form of a rejuvenated rebirth of a pre-existing one. Our technical festival is nearly equal, if not bigger than our social one, laying to rest many questions about the enthusiasm about  technical activities in the campus. Even in matters nearer home (or ones that should be nearer home at any rate), academic regulations and the like have been showing a quantum shift as many procedures that we used to take for granted- be it with regard to counselling, feedback or benchmarking the curricula against the best institutes in the world. Performances in GRE, CAT and the like have shown remarkable improvements, even as a mostly student-controlled Placement System scales new heights.

And continuing in the same vein of retrospection, (Third year-ites on Saturday evenings are the most retrospective creatures after 80 year olds, so you can stop rolling your eyes now.) and looking at our own lives over the last two years, I think the most significant change to have occurred is the mercurial change from Pro-Evolution Soccer to FIFA -2011. And the ID Card system at ANC. Definitely the ID Card system at ANC.

But then again, its three AM in the morning and I am digressing from one fever-induced rant to another. So, I'll just close this with what I intended to begin with, a quote by Samuel Beckett.

"To-morrow, when I wake, or think I do, what shall I say of to-day?"

No comments: